DavisToday

DAVIS HISTORY

How small was the early UC Davis campus?

The University Farm started with a handful of buildings and programs, then expanded rapidly into a general UC campus after World War II.

The early campus was literally a farm school. Four buildings were constructed in 1907, short courses began in 1908, and the first University Farm class graduated in 1911. A four-year undergraduate program arrived in the 1920s. By 1959 the Regents had declared Davis a general campus, setting the stage for the much larger university residents know today.

1907Four initial buildings are constructed.
1911The first University Farm class graduates.
1922A four-year undergraduate program begins.
1959Davis is declared a general UC campus.
Period1907–1959
EvidenceDocumented
Last checked2026-08-18
SourceUC Davis Library — History of UC Davis

More arts, culture & history in davis →